nrpe on RedHat 9

Martin, Jeremy jmartin at gsi-kc.com
Mon Jun 16 18:39:51 CEST 2003

Hi,

I'm having a little difficulty getting nrpe to run on a RedHat 9 linux server using xinetd.

I added this to /etc/xinetd.conf

service nrpe
{
        flags = REUSE
        log_on_failure += USERID
        socket_type = stream
        user = nagios
        group = nagios
        server = /etc/nrpe/nrpe
        server_args = -c /etc/nrpe/nrpe.cfg --inetd
        wait = no
        only_from = 192.168.100.2
}

I also allowed 192.168.100.2 in /etc/hosts.allow

For some reason nrpe doesn't show up when I ps -ax | grep nrpe... I think that's normal for xinetd services but I just wanted to make sure.

One thing I noticed is that in /var/log/messages it says:

Jun 16 11:34:24 zion nrpe[2413]: INFO: SSL/TLS initialized. All network traffic will be encrypted.
Jun 16 11:34:24 zion nrpe[2413]: Error: Could not complete SSL handshake. 1

each time the nagios server tries to connect to the client. I just ssh'd from the nagios client -> server, and from the server -> client, and told it to save the server fingerprint.. It still didn't fix it unfortunately. I'm at a loss as to how to set up the SSL handshake. Any clues?

Thanks!
Jeremy Martin