New User to nagios, probably a simple question

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at ftpb.com
Mon Jun 16 15:47:25 CEST 2003

am a total newbie to nagios and have just installed it.  I have read
manual and can't figure out what I am doing.  I start nagios with the
command  /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v
/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios.cfg .  Where do I go about configuring
this?  Did I miss something in the manual?

Slackware 9.0 Installation with Apache setup with SSL mode

Nagios 1.1

Copyright (c) 1999-2003 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)

Last Modified: 06-02-2003

License: GPL

Reading configuration data...

Running pre-flight check on configuration data...

Checking services...

        Checked 38 services.

Checking hosts...

        Checked 15 hosts.

Checking host groups...

        Checked 6 host groups.

Checking contacts...

        Checked 2 contacts.

Checking contact groups...

        Checked 6 contact groups.

Checking service escalations...

        Checked 2 service escalations.

Checking host group escalations...

        Checked 2 host group escalations.

Checking service dependencies...

Error: Dependent service specified in service dependency for service
'Website #2' on host 'nt1' is not defined anywhere!

Error: Service specified in service dependency for service 'Website #2'
on host 'nt1' is not defined anywhere!

Error: Service dependency definition for service 'Website #2' on host
'nt1' is circular (it depends on itself)!

Error: Dependent service specified in service dependency for service
'Website #2' on host 'nt1' is not defined anywhere!

Error: Service specified in service dependency for service 'Website #2'
on host 'nt1' is not defined anywhere!

Error: Service dependency definition for service 'Website #2' on host
'nt1' is circular (it depends on itself)!

Error: Dependent service specified in service dependency for service
'Website #1' on host 'nt1' is not defined anywhere!

Error: Service specified in service dependency for service 'Website #1'
on host 'nt1' is not defined anywhere!

Error: Service dependency definition for service 'Website #1' on host
'nt1' is circular (it depends on itself)!

Error: Dependent service specified in service dependency for service
'Website #1' on host 'nt1' is not defined anywhere!

Error: Service specified in service dependency for service 'Website #1'
on host 'nt1' is not defined anywhere!

Error: Service dependency definition for service 'Website #1' on host
'nt1' is circular (it depends on itself)!

        Checked 4 service dependencies.

Checking host escalations...

        Checked 0 host escalations.

Checking host dependencies...

        Checked 0 host dependencies.

Checking commands...

        Checked 22 commands.

Checking time periods...

        Checked 4 time periods.

Checking for circular paths between hosts...

Checking for circular service execution dependencies...

Checking global event handlers...

Checking obsessive compulsive service processor command...

Checking misc settings...

Total Warnings: 0

Total Errors:   12

***> One or more problems was encountered while running the pre-flight
check...

     Check your configuration file(s) to ensure that they contain valid

     directives and data definitions.  If you are upgrading from a
previous

     version of Nagios, you should be aware that some
variables/definitions

     may have been removed or modified in this version.  Make sure to
read

     the HTML documentation on the main and host config files, as well
as the

     'Whats New' section to find out what has changed.