dumb question...about how to best define/represent routers and multi-homed hosts

Gerkman,Joseph joe.gerkman at gartner.com
Sat Jun 14 01:27:44 CEST 2003

Hi all,

I've been working with Nagios for quite a while now and just wanted to say a big thanks to Ethan and the other folks who've made it such an incredible piece of software.

Now, for a kinda dumb question...

I have been creating a host entries for each interface on multi-homed hosts and routers (e.g.  routerA has 3 interfaces, for which I create 3 host entries, routerA-1, routerA-2, routerA-3).

While this has service my purposes in allowing me to know if a particular interface is having issues, I'm realizing that this may not have been the best way to do this...so I'm just looking for some input from others as to what the best method to deal with multi-homed hosts, routers, and for that matter, VLANs.

Thanks and take care,

-J