HTTP(S)? on multiple ports - simple single-service definition

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sat Jun 14 00:02:02 CEST 2003

I have one machine which listens for http requests on ports 80, 81 and 82
and for https requests on ports 443 and 444.  At the moment besides
http-service and https-service definitions, I have three others defined for
the odd ports.  For one machine alone I thus have three special services and
two special check commands defined.

This seems like a waste.  It's certainly going to be a scalability nightmare
should this happen very often.  Is there a simpler way to do this which
doesn't require me to always declare the port to connect to?  Something like

    define command{
      command_name check_http
      command_line $USER1$/check_http -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -u $ARG1$ -p $ARG2|80$
    }

so when invoked without a second argument like so:

    check_http!/

$ARG2$ would default to 80:

    $USER1$/check_http -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -u $ARG1$ -p 80

Or is there another way to do this?  I read the "sanity" chapter in the
docs.  It mostly seemed to concern itself with defining the same
service/escalation/whatever across many hosts.  Maybe using that for other
machines with identical services will make this problem bearable though...

Any suggestions appreciated.

--
Skip Montanaro
skip at pobox.com