Odd Nagios problem, displaying old data only some of the time

Martin, Jeremy jmartin at gsi-kc.com
Fri Jun 13 19:24:36 CEST 2003

I'm having a, you guessed it, odd problem with Nagios that I was hoping someone here could help me with.

Today we had one server that was having problems. For some reason Nagios would only display the problems half of the time when going to the Status Grid or "View Status Detail For This Host". The other half of the time all the checks on that server were in the green, but it said Last Check: 06-11-2003 (when it should have read 06-13-2003 of course). Every 30 seconds or so Nagios would toggle back and forth between showing the "red" status (last check 06-13) and the "green" status (last check 06-11).

I'm assuming this is some sort of permission error. I have .../nagios/var/rw set up ok (chmod 2770 with apache in the same group as nagiocmd) and can execute commands without any error messages. I checked all of the other directories but everything else still seems to be owned by nagios:nagios :-(

Any idea what might be causing Nagios to show this old data half the time and the new data the other half? Maybe I should just add apache to the nagios group as well and be done with it??

Thanks!
Jeremy Martin
Network Technician
GSI - http://www.gsi-kc.com