Distributed monitoring: passive host checks

Patrick LeBoutillier patrick_leboutillier at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 13 15:48:03 CEST 2003

Martin:

> Additionally, you could turn off UNREACHABLE notifications and set all
> the hosts to have a parent of the remote side of the link. Then, when the
> link goes down, the only notification you would get is that the remote
> side is DOWN.

In a way that's how it's set up, but it doesn't do what I expected.

One question about this though. Suppose I have my parent on the remote side
and 50 child hosts to that parent. Suppose the parent goes down and I have
20
service checks on the children in the scheduling queue before the next
service check
on the parent.

When Nagios comes to test the first of those 20 child host services, it will
be critical. Then
Nagios will check the child host and find it down. Then Nagios goes up to
the parent. Does
it run the parent host check at that point or does it simply use the current
state in order to
determine if the child is down vs. unreachable? This is the difference
between 1 or 21
notifications being sent out.

Hold on... I think I just answered my own question. I have the parent set up
as a cluster. The problem
with this is that the host check for clusters is not "live". The
check_cluster plugin looks in the status log
for the last results of the cluster elements. That's probably why the parent
is viewed as alive (until one of it's elements is checked, and the
notifications  are sent out...

Thanks,

Patrick