MIB for Nagios

Fri Jun 13 12:26:41 CEST 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your lhetter and ask, please for the
benefit of the less literate SNMP folks around (such as YT),

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 01:32:07PM -0400, Subhendu Ghosh wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Don Badrak wrote:
>
> > What I've been asked to do now is find a way to put Nagios notifications
> > into OVO.  I can do it through snmp traps.  My plan is to use a global
> > event handler in perl which uses the Net::SNMP modules to send an SNMP
> > trap.
>

> There is no official MIB for nagios. Rather than writing a complete mib
> consider just writing a trap definition.  VarBinds you want to pass should
> be the ones that are visible for event handlers (specially if you enable
> state tracking).

would you care to elabourate (amplify) on your answer ?

How would Open View understand the trap without a MIB ?

Will Open View accept _any_ trap and act on it - if configured to do so
?

> If considering the MIB, use tables for hosts, services, comment and
> downtime (all things that have log entries and state).
>

> -sg

Perhaps the general question is that if you have an 'Enterprise
Management System' such as Tivoli, Open View and friends, how does one
notify it - given that all of these things only understand _one_ IPC
method, namely SNMP traps, of a problem that Nagios detects ?

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.