MIB for Nagios

Don Badrak dbadrak at tco.census.gov
Thu Jun 12 19:08:53 CEST 2003

All,

Hi.  We've got an HP OpenView enterprise management system here. I started
using Nagios to augment that, since it did several things that OVO hasn't
been set up (yet) here to do: recovery messages, event correlation, and
service checks.

What I've been asked to do now is find a way to put Nagios notifications
into OVO.  I can do it through snmp traps.  My plan is to use a global
event handler in perl which uses the Net::SNMP modules to send an SNMP
trap.

One thing I've been thinking about is using a MIB to define events.

Something like:

	x.x.x.nagios

	1	state
	1.1	   SOFT
	1.2	   HARD

	2	condition
	2.1	   OK
	2.2	   WARNING
	2.3	   CRITICAL
	2.4	   UNKNOWN

	3	host
	3.1	   UP
	3.2	   DOWN
	3.3	   UNREACHABLE
	3.4	   RECOVERY

	4	service
	4.1	   OK
	4.2	   WARNING
	4.3	   CRITICAL

etc.

Any thoughts on this?  It would be nice if there was an official MIB for
Nagios.  What am I missing in this?

Don
--
Don Badrak <dbadrak at census.gov>              301.763.5534 work
Telecommunications Office                    301.457.4438 fax