OpenVMS management

Russell Adams RLAdams at Kelsey-Seybold.com
Thu Jun 12 17:37:03 CEST 2003

I've got a suggestion for monitoring OpenVMS.

One of my most successful methods has been to have regularly scheduled
batch jobs on the VMS system dump device or process information to a
file, then use a scripted FTP or TFTP job to send that file to the
monitoring host. That file can be parsed and submitted as a passive
event.

You'll want a service check that makes sure the file doesn't get
stale.

I currently use this to send device data to Cricket, and will be doing
so with Nagios once I migrate off Netsaint 0.0.7.

If you want further information, I'd be happy to post a script or two.

Russell