Nagios 1.1 RH 7.3 RPM Problem

Kevin L. Papendick papendick at nexserver.com
Wed Jun 11 17:28:25 CEST 2003

The problem is installing the nagios-www RPM.  If you reread my original
  post I am able to build the RPM's (attempted from several sources)
without a problem.  The base nagios RPM installs with no errors, but
when I attempt to install nagios-www it fails with the libgd.so
dependency error.

I checked /etc/ld.so.conf and /usr/lib was not there so I added it and
ran ldconfig per your suggestion.  This made do difference in building
or installing.  Per the ld man page (search for ld.so.conf) this
shouldn't be necessary anyway:

The linker uses the following search paths to locate required shared
libraries.
7.  The default directories, normally /lib and /usr/lib.
8.  For a native linker on an ELF system, if the file /etc/ld.so.conf
exists,  the  list  of  directories found in that file.

My current /etc/ld.so.conf:

# cat ld.so.conf
/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib
/usr/kerberos/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/mysql

The GD libraries are in my /usr/lib directory:

# ll /usr/lib/libgd*
/usr/lib/libgd.a
/usr/lib/libgdbm.so.2 -> libgdbm.so.2.0.0*
/usr/lib/libgdbm.so.2.0.0*
/usr/lib/libgdk-1.2.so.0 -> libgdk-1.2.so.0.9.1*
/usr/lib/libgdk-1.2.so.0.9.1*
/usr/lib/libgdk_imlib.so.1 -> libgdk_imlib.so.1.9.13*
/usr/lib/libgdk_imlib.so.1.9.13*
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf.so.2 -> libgdk_pixbuf.so.2.0.0*
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf.so.2.0.0*
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf_xlib.so.2 -> libgdk_pixbuf_xlib.so.2.0.0*
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf_xlib.so.2.0.0*
/usr/lib/libgd.so -> /usr/lib/libgd.so.2.0.2*
/usr/lib/libgd.so.1 -> libgd.so.1.8.4*
/usr/lib/libgd.so.1.8 -> libgd.so.1.8.4*
/usr/lib/libgd.so.1.8.4*
/usr/lib/libgd.so.2 -> /usr/lib/libgd.so.2.0.2*
/usr/lib/libgd.so.2.0.2*

I don't understand how the RPM build can find the GD libraries without a
problem and build successfully, but not be able to install on the same
system.  Particularly when I was able to build and install Nagios-1.0
RPM's about a month ago without any problems.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank You,

Kevin

--