Monitoring log files.

Webster, Stuart SITI-ITDIUR Stuart.Webster at shell.com
Wed Jun 11 12:47:06 CEST 2003

Hello

Does any one have any experience and advice for monitoring envirnonments with a lot of log files.

So far i have tried the standard check_log that comes with nagios. from my understanding this creates a copy of the log file, this is not really viable for me as it would need too much disk space.

I also have tried check_log2.pl from the contrib directory. this works by creating a counter to remember what line it was on for the next check. this works fine untill the log rotates, then when a new log file is created, im presuming the log_check2.pl will not know to start from the beggining of the log.

Has anyone solved these problems of rotating log files, the only solution i can think of it to write a cron that changes check_log2.pl's counter to 0 when the logs rotate, but this wil prove a complicated setup.

help or ideas appreciated

Stuart