Nagios check_log help

Dean Bishop dbishop at ehvert.com
Thu Jun 5 13:58:32 CEST 2003

Yes the -O is necessary for the script to keep track of where it left off.
The plugin is a perl script.  From the in-script comments:

#
# This plugin will scan a log file (specified by the <log_file> option)
# for a specific pattern (specified by the <pattern> option).  Successive
# calls to the plugin script will only report *new* pattern matches in the
# log file, since an copy of the log file from the previous run is saved
# to <old_log_file>.
#
# Output:
#
# On the first run of the plugin, it will return an OK state with a message
# of "Log check data initialized".  On successive runs, it will return an OK
# state if *no* pattern matches have been found in the *difference* between
the
# log file and the older copy of the log file.  If the plugin detects any
# pattern matches in the log diff, it will return a CRITICAL state and print
# out a message is the following format: "(x) last_match", where "x" is the
# total number of pattern matches found in the file and "last_match" is the
# last entry in the log file which matches the pattern.
#
# Notes:
#
# If you use this plugin make sure to keep the following in mind:
#
#    1.  The "max_attempts" value for the service should be 1, as this
#        will prevent Nagios from retrying the service check (the
#        next time the check is run it will not produce the same results).
#
#    2.  The "notify_recovery" value for the service should be 0, so that
#        Nagios does not notify you of "recoveries" for the check.  Since
#        pattern matches in the log file will only be reported once and not
#        the next time, there will always be "recoveries" for the service,
even
#        though recoveries really don't apply to this type of check.
#
#    3.  You *must* supply a different <old_file_log> for each service that
#        you define to use this plugin script - even if the different
services
#        check the same <log_file> for pattern matches.  This is necessary
#        because of the way the script operates.