Strange Occurance

Jason Payne jasonp at iland.com
Wed Jun 4 17:23:39 CEST 2003

A machine went down last night and notified me accordingly.  However, this
morning when it was brought back up it did not alert.  I check out nagios
and noticed that it hadn't even done a service check since when the status
of the host had changed the night before.  I had to force a service check in
order for it to page me that it came back up.  Very strange.  It is setup
just like any of my other machine, I hav ebeen running this for a year, and
have never had a problem like this before.  I was just curious to see if
anyone else had seen this before.  cfg files are listed below.

The downed machine was pegasus, which is listed in the services.cfg in a
list.  I've never had a poblem with any of these other hosts going down and
not notifying when they came back up.

define service {
host_name
realitypublishing2,infomanagement,kshipgroup1,ksh
ipgroup2,bondsafe,advancedreality,immix,atomicqube,pegasus,acadianmedia,real
ityp
ublishing1,immix2,distrdiag,certassoc,ericwalsh,satus,transmissioncenter,gap
cons
ulting,rumsonchina,web-d-zine,clayartcenter,corpcommunity,getgagaweb,cap5
service_description            PING
check_command                  check_ping!250.0,40%!500.0,60%
use                            generic-service
max_check_attempts             30
normal_check_interval          5
retry_check_interval           1
check_period                   24x7
notification_interval          240
notification_period            24x7
notification_options           c,r
contact_groups                 windows-admins
}

here's the hosts.  It never check-host-alive(d) either, on the host.

define host {
host_name                       pegasus
alias                           pegasus
address                        *.*.*.* (omitted)
register                       1
use                            generic-host
check_command                  check-host-alive
max_check_attempts             20
notification_interval          480
notification_period            24x7
notification_options           d,u,r