what cause this problems : Warning: Monitoring process may not be running!

Ian Davidson mav at juniper.net
Wed Jun 4 11:06:57 CEST 2003

I think there has been an email thread on this already.

I think what you'll find is that the output of the check_nagios command
(which essentially does a 'ps -aux' and then looks for an entry called
/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios) doesn't work.

On a recently upgraded RH7.3 box I found that the result of the ps
command showed the Nagios process as:

[root at boy-button]# ps -aux | grep nagios
nagios    7557  0.1  0.7  4144 2028 ?        S    Jun03   1:23 [nagios]

Where as on older versions it was
[root at schumi]# ps -aux | grep nagios
nagios   29516  0.0  0.3  4348 2188 ?        S    May29   6:01
/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios

I'm not sure why some processes shown by the result of  ps  are in
brackets like that, but that's likely the problem.