notification of system reboots

Aaron Conaway Aaron.Conaway at HOSystems.com
Tue Jun 3 21:33:48 CEST 2003

Some of our Windows and Unix boxes have a batch file or shell script
that emails a generic template to a mailing list on boot.  This
file/script runs at boottime and lets everyone know that the box is
coming back up.

----------
Aaron Conaway
Network Engineer III
Verisign, Inc. -- Telecom Services Division
http://www.verisign.com
Office:  912.527.4343
Fax:  912.527.4014

-----Original Message-----
From: Chandler A. Collins [mailto:Chandler.Collins at silabs.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 3:10 PM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] notification of system reboots

Hello,

I'm trying to find the best way to get notified anytime a system
reboots.

Essentially, I have about 70 boxes being monitored, and I need to know
anytime one of them reboots.  Every box also has NRPE installed, and I'm
monitoring various services on those systems.  Right now, Nagios is
setup to notify administrators if a particular service has a problem for
15 minutes (max_check_attempts = 3, normal_check_interval = 5,
retry_check_interval = 5).  That obviously won't work for a reboot,
which under normal circumstances will take much less than 15 minutes, in
which case we won't even know about it.

Does anyone have any ideas about the best way of doing this so that I'm
not notified about transient issues, but I am notified if the system
genuinely reboots?

Thanks!

Chandler Collins

This email and any attachments thereto may contain private,
confidential,
and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments
thereto)
by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,

please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the
original
and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.