Notifying on a service when host is unreachable?

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Tue Jun 3 18:32:12 CEST 2003

You may have to restructure the way the host and services are related.
Draw a topology map from "nagios" out.

eg.

nagios <---> Rt1 <----> Rt2 <----> {rt3, rt4, rt5}
         l1        l2        {l3,l4,l5}

link l2 should be a service of Rt1
link l3, l4,l5 should be a service of Rt2

This way if a link goes down, the service notification comes from the
near-side node and the remote nodes are unreachable.

if your network is more of a mesh with dynamic routing, then each router
should have all the links defined as services because the near-side node
will have an alternate path back.

-sg