Need a little Help to display CGIs

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Tue Jun 3 01:57:28 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Michael A. Jerger wrote:

> Hi Everyone -
>
> I'm new at Nagios and spent most of last week working on getting it up and running. I can display
> the Nagios html text docs from across the network on another machine. But I cannot get a cgi screen
> to display. I suspect a process is not completing when I launch Nagios, as the command prompt fails
> to return after launching. However, a ps -ef command shows five processes that are nagios-related
> are running. I have read much documentation multiple times.

preflight check:
nagios -v /path/to/nagios.cfg

This should be clean.

The number of nagios processes will vary over time as the core process
forks off to execute each plugin.

> I'm running Nagios on a Sun Ultra 60 with Apache 1.3.27. Apache seems to run without any problems.
>
> If anyone else has had similar problems and found a solution, I would really like to hear from you.
> I suspect that either my httpd.conf file or the cgi.cfg file or the nagios.cfg file has a parameter
> set improperly, although I will not rule out a mistake in some other file.  If anyone can send a
> copy of these three files and/or advice to me via my hotmail account, I would greatly appreciate it.
> I will compare my printouts against printouts of a known working system. If you get a message saying
> your documents are non deliverable because my mailbox is full, it is because I have a number of
>
> Please don't be shy about responding. Your "lessons learned" are valuable to someone else!

If you can see the html file then the "Alias" config in apache is working.

Can you see any error in the apache logs when cgi access is attempted?

Possible Issues:

1. apache does not have execute perms on cgi (normally apache and nagios
should have a common group)

2. "ScriptAlias" section in httpd.conf is in the wrong order w/ respect to
"Alias"

post you config and errors.

check your mailbox more often.

--