Nagios and OpenNMS or OpenNMS with Nagios???

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Tue Jun 3 00:35:04 CEST 2003

Going back a number of months, I think someone else on the list said that OpenNMS is a resource hog.  In other words, dig deep into your pockets and be prepared to spend some decent money on your OpenNMS server.  I could be thinking of another SNMP-based product, however.

Nagios has check_snmp, and there are RRDtool-based apps which do a fine job of graphing SNMP-based output (eg, Cricket, MRTG).

Jason, aside from the above reference, I don't recall any fruitful references to OpenNMS.  You might be hard pressed to find OpenNMS chatter on Nagios mailing lists.

If you think I'm being biased, you could be right.  ;)  Nagios ROCKS!  But if you decide to go ahead and do some "compare and contrast" R&D, let us know what you find out.  Better still, you could always add it to the FAQ.  ;)

jc