Problems with Host Dependencies/Parents

Soto, Aaron ASoto at admin.nmt.edu
Mon Jul 28 18:05:15 CEST 2003

I've been using Nagios for several months now, but I have not been able to figure out one thing...

First off, I have about 150 hosts I am monitoring.  Each one is setup with a PING service (and a couple have HTTP, SMTP, etc.).  The services all work flawlessly.  However, hosts are almost always "assumed to be up".  I understand that Nagios only checks the state of a host when a service goes down, but it does not check even when a service has failed!

For example:  I have a series of five switches, daisy-chained in a row.  Each one is the parent of the next.  Dependencies are also defined so that switch2 depends on switch1, switch3 depends on switch2, etc.  Now, when I unplug any of the switches, the PING service goes down on that switch and all of the switches beyond it.  However, Nagios still believes the HOSTS are UP.  In addition, I get a notification for each switch that is now unreachable, even though I specifically told Nagios not to send notifications about UNREACHABLE hosts.

I believe the problem is that Nagios is not realizing the host is unreachable, and is therefore sending a notifications, since the emails I am receiving are all concerning the PING service, and not the host itself.  That would also explain why it is not silencing the alerts for the unreachable switches beyond the unplugged switch.  Nagios does not seem to want to check the host state, nor does it want to climb up the dependency tree to find which host is causing the problem.

Where did it all go horribly wrong?  Hopefully, that is enough information.  Please let me know if I can provide any more details.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Aaron Soto
New Mexico Tech
Information Services Dept.
Email   asoto at admin.nmt.edu