Database Support -- Objects

Donahue, Pat PDonahue at acmicorp.com
Fri Jul 25 15:18:06 CEST 2003

Good Morning,

I use Nagios along with several other network applications (e.g. Cricket) on the same box. These programs independently maintain much of the same information about the devices (hostnames, ip addresses, SNMP strings, etc). I'd like to create a database schema that allows me to store pertinent information, in this case object data, in a database server such as mysql. Ideally I'd like to store all Nagios related data in this database, both object and external data. Given that external data is already supported in the source, has anyone attempted to include object data? Would it be easier or even better just to write scripts that create flat files from the database? The scripting option seems like it would be better for new releases as you wouldn't have to worry about patching the source. I've also read somewhere that the existing database support for external data will be removed in future releases? Is there any truth to this? If so, what are the reasons behind this decision?

--
Patrick Donahue
Network/Systems Administrator