Number of Nagios Processes Distributed Monitoring

nagios-users nagios-users at lists.netways.de
Fri Jul 25 10:47:25 CEST 2003

Hello all !
I am running Nagios in a ditributed environment.
My central server is processing about 250-300 checks itself, the rest about 150 ist from one other distributed Server.
As I didn't want to open additional port on several firewalls I tunneld the ncsa via ssh.
So my distributed server has an ssh tunnel to the central server. Via this tunnel all data is sent.
Distributed monitoring itself works nicely.
The central server is only doing active checks for hosts which he is responsible for all the rest is received with passive checks.
Anyway after let us say one or two hours the central server has about 500 Nagios processes running.
Status.log is no longer updated as well as checkresults.

After the first night the central server crashed ... Too many processes. I had to reboot manually.

What is wrong ?

Nik Engel                     NETWAYS GmbH
Senior Systems Engineer       Deutschherrnstr. 47a
Fon.0911/92885-13             D-90429 Nürnberg
Fax.0911/92885-33
nengel at netways.de             www.netways.de