Question about Notification

AIH Service GmbH info at aih.de
Thu Jul 24 10:32:41 CEST 2003

> > Hello List,
> >
> > i wonder when Nagios starts notification. We use Nagios 1.1 and if I
> > understood the manual right, the notification should start after the
> > max_check_attempts.
> >
> > normal_check_interval    3
> > max_check_attempts      5
> > retry_check_interval       1
> >
> > As I understood the man, Nagios should do 5 more checks with an delay of
1
> > minute before sending a notification? Are I'm wrong?
> > If i'm wrong, how can i force nagios the check the service 4 or 5 times
> > before sending any notification.
>
> This is correctly understood

Thats fine, but it seems not to work in that way. I get a notification after
the first attempt.
In my config there should be a delay of at least 5 minutes between first
failure detect and first notification but it isn't.
Is there a difference between Plugin timeout and "normal" Critical State?

I'm not sure, but i think i get notified if the check_ping plugin timed
out?!

> > Next question:
> > I've seen this question before on the list, but no answer was given. Is
it
> > possible to send warnings only per mail and critical events per mail and
> > pager?
>
> Just create 2 contacts
>
> # contact1, send warnings only per mail
> define contact{
>         contact_name                    contact1
>         alias                                   contact1
>         service_notification_period     24x7
>         host_notification_period        24x7
>         service_notification_options    w
>         host_notification_options       d,u,r
>         service_notification_commands   notify-by-email
>         host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
>         email                           emailaddress at host.com
>         }
>
> # contact2, send critical per email & pager
> define contact{
>         contact_name                    contact2
>         alias                                   contact2
>         service_notification_period     24x7
>         host_notification_period        24x7
>         service_notification_options    c
>         host_notification_options       d,u
>         service_notification_commands   notify-by-pager
>         host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-pager
>         pager                                     12312313123
>         }
>
> I hope you get something out of this.

Sure, that so simple. Thank you very much.

Andreas Husemann
AIH Service GmbH
Germany