Service Escalations and notification_interval

Sam Stickland sam_ml at spacething.org
Wed Jul 23 15:19:04 CEST 2003

Hi,

I've written a couple of programs - one that does notification via MSN, and
one via SMS.

I used the following the service-escalation configuration on a service:

define serviceescalation {
 host_name                 myhost
 service_description       myservice
 first_notification        1
 last_notification         0
 contact_groups            admins-msn
 notification_interval     1
}

define serviceescalation {
 host_name                 myhost
 service_description       myservice
 first_notification        1
 last_notification         0
 contact_groups            admins-sms
 notification_interval     120
}

Now I kinda wish that I'd read the documentation a little more carefully ;)
It was meant to notify the admins via MSN regulary, but only send out a
notification via SMS once every two hours. But of course, what actually
happens is that it uses the smallest notification_interval for both the
contact-groups. (Just as well I was only testing this to my phone!).

So I have two questions:

a) Is it possible to define two, overlapping, service escalations for one
service, with different notification_intervalS? Or will I have to duplicate
the service defination?

b) Why is it that the notifcations occured once every five minutes, not once
every minute as the notification_interval suggests? Is this a multiplier of
some other value? A look at services.cfg suggests it's
'notification_interval x normal_check_interval' since normal_check_interval
is the only property with a value of five.

Sam