Parent/child config

Scott Whitney swhitney at journyx.com
Wed Jul 23 01:01:14 CEST 2003

Today, my local Cisco router went down.  Call it hw-router. :)  Well, I have
a bunch of machines defined as "coloc-host".  Here's what the foo.cfg file
says:
------------------
define host {
  use                             coloc-host

  host_name                  foo
  alias                           foo
  address                      vvv.xxx.yyy.zzz
}
-----------------

Here's what the hosts.cfg file says:

------------------
define host {
  name                            coloc-host
  notifications_enabled           1
  event_handler_enabled           1
  flap_detection_enabled          1
  process_perf_data               1
  retain_status_information       1
  retain_nonstatus_information    1

  check_command                   check-host-alive
  max_check_attempts              3
  notification_interval           1
  notification_period             24x7
  notification_options            d,u,r

  parents                         sw-router, hw-router, coloc-router
  register                        0
}

Well, when hw-router went down, when it came back up, I got about a dozen
pages telling me that each of the coloc hosts was down, and then back up. I
thought it wasn't supposed to do this to me, based on the config above.  Any
help would be appreciated.