checking if a custom service is running?

nemir nemiria nemir at mindless.com
Mon Jul 21 19:07:16 CEST 2003

Hi there...

I am really unsure if this is hard or easy or how to go about accomplishing this...

I run a particular service on a Linux server,  sessmgr,  and I am wondering how to get something that would check to see that it was running.

Is the best way to do this to write a new plugin?   I am pretty much a programming newbie,  having about 15 hours of python scriupting to my name thus far.  Would python be inappropriate to use to write a plugin?

IS the best way to do so to parse the output of ps -axu | grep sessmgr?

Or even simpler still,  ps -aux | grep -c sessmgr,  where any non-zero response is a critical failure?

I guess I want to know if someone might have already invented this wheel and published something that I could adapt to the purpose before I go about building one myself.

TIA

Nemir
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers