Strange Check_Snmp Issue

Shelfo, Pete Pete.Shelfo at itron.com
Mon Jul 21 16:02:24 CEST 2003

I am running Nagios 1.0 on Redhat 8 with the latest NSClient on Windows
2000 servers.  Everything was functioning perfectly until I configured
NIS on my Redhat 8 server.  When NIS is started only one of my Windows
servers fails on only one type of check_snmp command.  When NIS is
started my Compaq RAID disk checks (3 instances of such) bombs out on a
Compaq server.  All the other Compaq Windows servers have the same check
(different OID though) and are working fine.  I have updated my plugins,
NSClient and the Compaq management agents.  If I walk the MIB tree with
a third party app I can see the check and display the results.  If I use
check_snmp on the command line in Redhat 8 it does not come back with
any results - just the error message that it can't locate the snmp data.
What does NIS have to do with the RAID check_snmp check on one type of
server???????