CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake.

Chan Chee Seng gisccs at nus.edu.sg
Fri Jul 18 13:27:51 CEST 2003

Greetings,

I have successfully compiled nrpe 2.0b5 for Solaris 8 on both the Nagios
and remote hosts.  I am now setting up the nrpe on the Nagios host and
the remote host.

First I ran nrpe as a daemon on the remote host like this:

./nrpe -c nrpe.cfg -d

When I ran on the Nagios host with this command:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H remote_host -c check_load

I get this:

DISK OK [60955924 kB (35%) free on /dev/dsk/c1t5d0s0]

This is fine.  However if on the remote host I configured nrpe to run
under inetd by setting the inetd.conf like this:

# nagios nrpe daemon (taken from a tip from Jordi Vidal)
nrpe            stream  tcp     nowait  nagios  /usr/local/nagios/nrpe
-- -c /usr/local/nagios/nrpe.cfg -i

And when I run the above check_nrpe command I would get:

CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake.

I have no idea why as I have not changed the nrpe.cfg file which
switching nrpe from daemon to inetd mode.

Thanks for any help rendered.

Regards,
Chan Chee Seng
gisccs at nus.edu.sg