Authentication problem

claus ch at greenmail.ch
Thu Jul 17 23:31:48 CEST 2003

Stupid me !!!
   chmod -R a+r /usr/local/nagios
fixed it !!!

Sorry having you bothered.

Regards,
Claus

----- Original Message -----
From: "claus" <ch at greenmail.ch>
To: <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 10:40 PM
Subject: [Nagios-users] Authentication problem

I have a realy strange problem ....

I set up nagios under apache 2.0.45

all the .htaccess and authentication stuff works fine
I get a prompt enter user/password
get in and see on the web pages "Logged in as ..."

But when I try any of the Service Detail, Host Detzail etc.

I get:
It appears as though you do not have permission to view information for
any of the hosts you requested...

If you believe this is an error, check the HTTP server authentication requirements
for accessing this CGI
and check the authorization options in your CGI configuration file.

But in the cgi.conf file I configured:
use_authentication=0
default_user_name=... (same literal as login user)
authorized_for_configuration_information=*
authorized_for_system_commands=*
authorized_for_all_services=*
authorized_for_all_hosts=*
authorized_for_all_service_commands=*
authorized_for_all_host_commands=*

I tested also less permissive configs like:

use_authentication=1
default_user_name=guest
authorized_for_configuration_information=... (same literal as login user)
authorized_for_system_commands=... (same literal as login user)
authorized_for_all_services=... (same literal as login user)
authorized_for_all_hosts=... (same literal as login user)
authorized_for_all_service_commands=... (same literal as login user)
authorized_for_all_host_commands=... (same literal as login user)

Always the same result. If I call the cgi's on the command line they seem
tio work better as soon as I set
REQUEST_METHOD="GET"
QUERY_STRING="host=all"
REMOTE_USER="..." (same literal as login user)
/usr/local/nagios/sbin/status.cgi

How may I debug the cgi's when running in the server?
Is it possible that I have to configure apache2 differently?

Thanx and regards,
Claus