NRPE: could not complete SSL handshake

Alexei Moulton amoulton at cambridge.org
Thu Jul 17 18:46:52 CEST 2003

Hi,

I have just got this working and notice several posts on the list with this
error message. As none of the reply's had my particular solution i thought
i should share.

firstly I'm running check_nrpe from a Solaris 8 machine, and nrpe so far on
Solaris 8 and 9 machines.
on all Openssl version is 0.9.7b

the main problem was that the inetd.conf entry in the README file is wrong
for Solaris - here is mine:
nrpe    stream  tcp     nowait  nagios  /usr/local/nagios/sbin/nrpe nrpe -c
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -i

secondly i had to put some symlinks in for the libssl and libcrypto
libraries - its worth doing ldd on nrpe to check it can access all the
library files it needs.

hope that helps somebody sometime :)

cheers,
Alexei.