Host-check vs. Host-Service-Check

Andreas Piesk andreas.piesk at voeb-zvd.de
Thu Jul 17 13:09:07 CEST 2003

Am Don, 2003-07-17 um 12.50 schrieb Warich, Eyck:

> So i switched to the second option, nagios is happy with the definitions and
> dependencies also work. The question is, for what the check_command in the
> *host* defintion might be good or useful for?

the host check 'check_alive' is not a regular check like service checks.
if a service check indicates a problem, nagios will use 'check_alive' to
verify whether the host is up or not. see documentation chapter "Service
Check Scheduling" paragraph "Scheduling During Problems " and "Host
checks".

> (A second question comes to my mind while i'm writing this: for services
> there is a configurable time interval the service gets checked
> (*_check_interval), i didn't find something equal for the host's check
> command? Which interval is used for host monitoring?)

see above. there's no regular interval.

-ap

--
Andreas Piesk