Problem with check_nrpe

Ravi Bhushan arbhushan at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 08:01:20 CEST 2003

Hello,

I'm trying to monitor remote services like check_disk
etc. The error message I get is "CHECK_NRPE: Received
0 bytes. Are we allowed to connect to the host?". The
error message is same, even if I run the check_nrpe
command line. My Nagios Server and clients are Solaris
9 and Solaris 8 respectively.

My configuration files are as below:

Nagios Server: /usr/local/nagios/etc/checkcommands.cfg
#'check_nrpe' command definition
command_name    check_nrpe
command_line    $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c
$ARG1$

Nagios Server: /usr/local/nagios/etc/services.cfg
define service{
host_name                       Client Name
service_description             disk_space
is_volatile                     0
check_period                    24x7
max_check_attempts              1
normal_check_interval           2
retry_check_interval            1
contact_groups                  it
notification_interval           120
notification_period             24x7
notification_options            w,u,c,r
check_command                   check_nrpe!check_usr1
}

Nagios Client: /etc/inetd.conf
------------------------------
nrpe stream tcp nowait nagios /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/nrpe -c
/usr/local/nagios/nrpe.cfg --inetd

Nagios Client: /etc/services
----------------------------
nrpe    5666/tcp

Additional info:
----------------
telnet client_name 5666 (Telnet to port 5666 works).
netstat -a | grep nrpe shows
*.nrpe               *.*                0      0 24576
     0 LISTEN
client_name.nrpe     nagios_server.37016
49640      0 24820      0 TIME_WAIT
client_name.nrpe     nagios_server.37030
49640      0 24820      0 TIME_WAIT

Can you please help me on this or let me know if you
need any additional info.

thanks and regards
-Ravi