nrpe and nrpe.conf examples?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Jul 14 17:08:10 CEST 2003

    Ton> I'm going to play a bit with nrpe to be able to check diskspace and
    Ton> cpu utilization on remote hosts.  Does anybody have this working
    Ton> and does anybody have any examples of check_nrpe checkcommands and
    Ton> nrpe.conf files?

I have nrpe running and use the following commands from Nagios:

    define command{
        command_name        check_unix_disk
        command_line        $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c check_disk
    }

    define command{
        command_name        check_unix_users
        command_line        $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c check_users
    }

    define command{
        command_name        check_unix_zombies
        command_line        $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c check_zombie_procs
    }

    define command{
        command_name        check_unix_procs
        command_line        $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c check_total_procs
    }

    define command{
        command_name        check_unix_mailq
        command_line        $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c check_mailq
    }

and these commands in nrpe.cfg on one of the hosts being monitored:

    command[check_users]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_users -w 5 -c 10
    command[check_load]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_load -w 15,10,5 -c 30,25,20
    command[check_disk]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w '10%' -c '5%' -q
    command[check_zombie_procs]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_procs -w 5 -c 10 -s Z
    command[check_total_procs]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_procs -w 150 -c 200

Using check_nrpe is pretty straightforward.  Assuming you don't allow
parameters to be passed to the nrped process, all parameter control is done
on the server.

--
Skip Montanaro
Got gigs? http://www.musi-cal.com/