Monitoring IBM storage device ESS-2105

chris at eventhorizon.ca chris at eventhorizon.ca
Fri Jul 11 16:30:38 CEST 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 09:52:30AM -0300, Bill Voutsinas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to monitor a IBM Shark ESS 2105 storage device. Can anyone suggest
> a way to do this?

I don't know of any existing method, however, it should be possible to create
some plugins using either SNMP or a combination of the CIM (Common Information
Model) agent and the ESS CLI(Command Line Interface).  My understanding is
that CIM and the CLI are freely available from IBM.

You can download the Linux CIM agent from:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=ssg1S4000146

I'm not sure where to get the CLI for Linux from (or any other OS for that
 matter).  This may be something that you have to get from your IBM SE.

As far as SNMP goes, you can browse using snmp walk with no problems but I
have not been able to find a way to translate the OIDs so that I can get
something meaningful from SNMP.  It seems like SNMP will return some
performance information but you will need the proper mib(s) to make any sense
of it.

Hope that helps.

--
Chris Rothecker