Service Status Type

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Fri Jul 11 06:11:48 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 14:28, Jasmine wrote:

> check-host-alive is not supposed to be in libexec directory. I would suggest
> you take a look at the Nagios documentation again.

> On Thursday 10 July 2003 21:29, you wrote:
> >
> > don't be sorry, you're are being very kindly trying to help me.
> >
> > This host is on a Rig, and on this Rig I have 4 hosts, only this one has
> > this Status! They have identical file configurations.
> >
> > here is both configurations copied from my hosts.cfg
> >
> > define host{
> >
> >         host_name               monitor1
> >         alias                   PLC Monitor #1
> >         address                 xxx.xx.xxx.117
> >         parents                 135-D
> >         check_command           check-host-alive
> >         max_check_attempts      20
> >         notification_interval   60
> >         notification_period     24x7
> >         notification_options    d,u,r
> >         }
> >
> > define host{
> >
> >         host_name               monitor2
> >         alias                   PLC Monitor #2
> >         address                 xxx.xx.xxx.118
> >         parents                 135-D
> >         check_command           check-host-alive
> >         max_check_attempts      20
> >         notification_interval   60
> >         notification_period     24x7
> >
> > I've tried to find this "check-host-alive" on my libexec folder
> > unsuccessful. Did you have any clues? I know that this command works
> > because of another hosts are with the same information!

Check_host_alive is a command definition (see checkcommands.cfg)

But I don't see how this is realted to your problem. From what I see,
the PING service on that host is what is critical. You did not provide
the service definition, but I assume that the the second arg to the
service is less than 637.

This is telling your there is some latency - either the network is slow,
or the servis is bogged down and cannot respond quicky (or is sleeping
and does not wake up fast enough).

> > From: Jasmine [mailto:jasmine.chua at securecirt.com]
> >
> > Sorry for the late reponse, woke up late.. heehee. Hmm. I would think most
> > likely, you have set the host to "assumed to be up" this happens when there
> > isnt a valid host check_command in your host definition template. Or either
> > the network connectivity is just really bad with high ms but the host is
> > still up. Thresholds for ping service should be set realistically depending
> > on the physical distance from your monitoring server to that "monitor1"
> > host.
> >
> > On Thursday 10 July 2003 20:38, Fernando Gomes Lima wrote:
> > >
> > > I got this screen
> > >
> > > Host		Service	Status	Last Check	Duration			Attempt	Status Information
> > > monitor1	PING		CRITICAL	07-10-2003	09:41:28 27d 21h 9m 11s 1/3		 PING
> > > CRITICAL - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 637.81 ms
> > >
> > > I have no idea what's going on!!!

I assume this is from /nagios/cgi-bin/status.cgi?host=all or
/nagios/cgi-bin/status.cgi?host=monitor1? It seems to me you are looking
at a critical service status, not host down report.

--
Karl