Monitor Checkpoint VPN links

Adams, Gavin gadams at promisant.com
Thu Jul 10 20:21:59 CEST 2003

My $0.02 :

Experience based off of FW-1 4.1 and VPN setups via IPsec. SNMP
capabilities of FW-1 are limited to high level packet counts for
enforcement points, etc. Not really of use for ensuring site A to site B
access.

If everything is being sent to a central management server, you could
parse the log files looking for bad SA setups, timeouts etc. Once again,
if some sites on the VPN don't communicate regularly, this may not find
it.

The only solution I see would be to actually pass traffic from each site
to all other sites. Maybe through the use of NRPE/NCSA and a plugin on a
server in each site (that can ICMP and is allowed to communicate to the
other sites).

For example, fully meshed network of sites A, B, C, and D with Nagios
running at site A, and accessible servers at B, C, and D. Traffic checks
would be for:

>From     To
A        B C D
B        A C D
C        A B D
D        A B C

Site A is easy, Nagios can ping devices in B, C, and D. On the server at
the other sites, create a plugin that pings the remote sites and returns
OK is all is good, else WARNING or CRITICAL if there is a problem.

Additional work and resources required to set it up, but in the end, the
only way to know if an VPN tunnel is up and operational is to push some
traffic across it (or wait for the complaints to come in).

HTH,

--- Gavin