Jabber notification

Edwards, Thomas Thomas.Edwards at AccredoHealth.com
Thu Jul 10 16:13:14 CEST 2003

Appreciate the help, one question, how does the notify-by-jabber.pl know
which user to send to if the email address is different than the jabber
address?  Would their be a way to send it that way?

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Jordan [mailto:fjordan at hcssun01.hcs.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 6:13 PM
To: Edwards, Thomas
Cc: 'nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Jabber notification

Try this:

# 'notify-by-jabber' command definition
define command{
        command_name    notify-by-jabber
        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "Service: $SERVICEDESC$, Host:
$HOSTNAME$, State: $SERVICESTATE$, Date: $DATETIME$" |
/usr/local/nagios/notify-by-
jabber.pl
        }

Do NOT try this:
# 'notify-by-jabber' command definition
define command{
       command_name    notify-by-jabber
       command_line    /usr/bin/printf "Service: $SERVICEDESC$, Host:
$HOSTNAME$, State: $SERVICESTATE$, Info: $OUTPUT$, Date: $DATETIME$" |
/usr/local/nagios/notify-by-jabber.pl
       }

I had the same problem a few months ago. Rebuilding everything in site;
hacking everything that could log output to a file. Note the difference; the
first command definition has removed the "Info: $OUTPUT$" being passed to
the notify-by-jabber.pl script. Turned out there is a "%", ":",";", or some
character that was screwing up the notify-by-jabber.pl script. Sorry, but am
at home right now and don't which character was the problem but I just about
"lost it" trying to find this problem( I don't sound like I am on a rant or
anything do I?).

At any rate, would be glad to converse with anyone/everyone about the
possiblities of integrating jabber with nagios; and for that matter with
swatch and other tools we run here. We have a nagios server that sends
notifications to everyone logged in to the jabber server. People in the NOC
seem to think its great, and want the jabber server tied to everything we
run. To be honest; I kind of like the idea too.

Would be glad to swap scripts; nagios, jabbber or otherwise; with anyone
interested. A word or warning though; what I write ain't pretty but it
usually gets the job done. Never been a good programmer and would starve to
death if I had to make a living cranking out lines of code.

				Hope this helps,
					Fred

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Edwards, Thomas wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had gotten the jaber notification to work
> and could provide me a little insite into configureing this.
>
> I got the jabber script here
> http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=50
> <http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=50>   and configured it.
>
> Installed the appropriate jabber perl mods to allow sending via the
> script alone etc:
>
> [nagios at nagios etc]# ./jabber
> Usage...
>  notify [jabberid] [message]
>
> Then modified miscommands.cfg as follows according to the jabber
> script
>

> # 'notify-by-jabber' command definition
> define command{
>         command_name    notify-by-jabber
>         command_line    /usr/local/nagios/etc/jabber user at localhost
> "**$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ alert - $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is
> $SERVICESTATE$ **" $CONT ACTEMAIL$"
>         }
>
> Added a line to contacts.cfg for notify-by-jabber to see if it would
> send, so far nothing.  No errors as far as I can see.
>
> Any suggestions or clarifications would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Tom

> privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee, and access by
> anyone else is unauthorized.

> distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
> it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
>
> If you believe that you have received this email in error, please
> advise us by calling (901) 385 3688, or emailing
> mailgateway at accredohealth.net, and then delete this message and all
> copies and backups thereof. Thank you.

The information in this email is confidential and may be
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee,
and access by anyone else is unauthorized.

If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be