logging?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Wed Jul 9 17:44:42 CEST 2003

We have a central loghost which has been trucking along ok for some
time.

Recently, it's started getting so much log data that a log file hits the
2G limit before a day is over, and is filling up the syslog disk.  The
filesystem for the log data is ext2.

Not to assign blame (it's not nagios fault), but I think this is related
to all the:

1) tcpd log messages nagios is generating on remote hosts
2) xinetd log messages nagios is generating on remote hosts
3) identd log messages the remote hosts are generating on the nagios
host (under unique pids, no less).

Has anyone else been confronted by this sort of problem before?  How did
you handle it?

Or alternatively, how would you handle it?  Decrease the frequency of
checks?  Turn off logging of the nagios host in tcpd and xinetd?  Turn
off identd on the nagios host?

I'm all ears.  :)

--
Dan Stromberg DCS/NACS/UCI <strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu>