Adding more advanced correlation to nagios with sec (any interest?)

Wed Jul 9 00:20:18 CEST 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and comment about the last
little iota (unfortunately, I need to think about your proposal far more
before remarking on it).

On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 03:48:16PM -0400, John P. Rouillard wrote:

> Note, there is a issue with sec in that ;'s can't be embedded in its
> action commands. This is a problem since nagios' passive commands are ;
> delimited. There should be a new version of sec out (2.1.8) once
> testing is complete that addresses this issue.

Indeed 2.1.8 addresses these issues beautifully eg from my sec.conf
that is in the process of disintermediating my /bin/sh trap handlers
(bliss)

type=PairWithWindow
desc=Alarm threshold crossed.
ptype=RegExp
pattern=:\s+(\S+?): .+?\(RMON-MIB::risingAlarm\) Uptime: .+?,(.*)
action=assign %i $1;            \
   assign %o Failed. Potential problem (broadcast storm or congestion
            ?): monitored value exceeded alarm threshold. $2; \
   eval   %h ( require
'/usr/local/nagios/etc/alarm_hostnames.pl'; $ip2NagName{'%i'}; );    \
   write  /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd ([%u]
PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;%h;%s;2;%o)

The wrapping makes a mess, but I think you get the picture:
 action=write NagCmdQueue ( [%u]PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;foo;bar;..)

> 				-- rouilj
> My employers don't acknowledge my existence much less my opinions.

Yours too ?

Once again, this is simply a fantastic assist for Nagios. Thank you for
mentioning it.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.