Host check and Service Check timing

Brian Snead BSnead at infosysnetworks.com
Tue Jul 8 16:25:31 CEST 2003

Here is the problem, I monitor many hosts that are several hops away. During the day, when the traffic loads get high, I start getting many false alarms. I have the service check set to every 3 minutes with the retry interval set to 2 minutes. This should give me at least 4 minutes before alarms. (misses the scheduled poll, waits 2 min and tries, waits 2 min and tries) However, this is not how it is working. It looks like the first time it misses the service check, it goes into hyper mode checking the host every 10 seconds (I guess this is the timeout interval for the plugin). I have the host check set to 10 tries, so this accounts for 100 seconds. So the alarm bells go off 100 seconds after the service check failed.

The biggest problem is that the host was never down. It is always a congested Wan link or VPN router. I have the parents set up correctly, but these don't have time to fail before the 100 seconds is up.

Is there a way to control the host check interval?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brian Snead
InfoSys Networks