monitoring win2k processes

Russell Adams RLAdams at Kelsey-Seybold.com
Mon Jul 7 23:09:37 CEST 2003

I monitor many Win2k systems via SNMP (hrSWRunTable) to ensure
specific processes are always running.

I do it via a custom shell script plugin I wrote for Netsaint 0.0.7,
I'm not certain there is a direct equivalent available in the
nagios-plugins. I hope so, I'm about to move to Nagios. It searches
hrSWRunTable for X instances of process Y. If X > or < a
threshold, it returns warn/crit/ok and the number of matching
processes. Some of my systems are running multiple databases, and so
should always have 2+ processes with the same executable name running
at a time.

NSClient can be installed on the Win2k server and then you can monitor
specific processes by executable name, instead of SNMP. The advantage
I found is that SNMP comes with Win2k and is a quick setup, plus I can
get performance info off the Win2k box with Cricket with hostmib.

One other option you might consider is using FireDaemon (
http://www.firedaemon.com/ ) to create a windows service from the
application you wish to run. Then you can use NSClient to monitor the
status of that service. You could even be so bold as to make the
service restart automatically if it should stop. ;]

Russell