Database migration script?

Kevin M. Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Thu Jul 3 16:26:53 CEST 2003

Hello,

Given the upcoming deprecation of database support for storing status and other
information, has anyone worked up a script to extract current information from
a database and put it into a flat text file?  I currently have everything
stored in a MySQL database and I'm going to have to convert that into straight
text files if I want to maintain historical statistics for services and hosts
I'm monitoring.  I'm thinking it should not be difficult but I also don't want
to reinvent the wheel either, if its been done before.

Also, while I've read over the rationale for dropping database support, it seems
a bit short-sighted, in my opinion.  Using text files may seem simpler and
easier to program in the short-term but long-term, the flexibility of being
able to use SQl to write reports and the scalability of using a database to
maintain hundreds of host/service records for many years far outweighs the
extra code maintenance required.  I guess one could always argue that you can
write a text to database conversion script, which is indeed an option and which
leads me to a thought regarding nagios output:  would it be feasible to design
Nagios with an output abstraction level that one could then write plugins for,
such that Nagios presents the data to the output layer and then depending on
which plugin you have configured, the plugin would take care of writing the
data out to a text file or to a SQL database or Berkeley database or whatever
else types of output plugins might be developed?  Just a thought, probably more
applicable to the developers list.

Thanks,
Kevin

--