Creating own check commands

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Wed Jul 2 16:10:11 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Ira Harkness wrote:

> I am using the check_nwstat program to check for free space on volumes on
> the netware server. Each server has different volume names except for one in
> common, "sys."
>
> I created the following to check freespace on sys
> # 'check_freespace sys' command definition
> define command{
>         command_name    check_freesys
>         command_line    $USER1$/check_nwstat -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -v VKFsys ZERO
> }
>
> Works fine and I can use a few define services to get to all the netware
> servers to check "sys."
>
> Now I want to check other volumes but I don't want to have to create a
> seperate command for each volume. I noticed in some of the other check
> commands there is a variable called $ARG1$
>
> Where do I reference this variable. Obviously $HOSTADDRESS$ gets the value
> of "host_name" when I set that up in services.cfg. How do I give $ARG1$ a
> value when I set up something in services.cfg
>

> Is the following how I would do it? I need to know what else to put in
> services.cfg to make it where $ARG1$ can be the volume I want to check. Also
> is the format for checkcommands correct?
>
> #services.cfg line#
> host_name   box.address.com
>
> #checkcommands.cfg#
> $USER1$/check_nwstat -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -v VKF$ARG1$ ZERO
>
> Thank you so much for your help. If you need clarification please feel free
> to message me on AIM - xCrytikalx
>

>From the command.cfg distributed with the plugins...

# Disk volume (% free)
command[check_nwstat_vol_p]=@libexecdir@/check_nwstat -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -v VPF$ARG1$ -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$
# Disk volume (KB free)
command[check_nwstat_vol_k]=@libexecdir@/check_nwstat -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -v VKF$ARG1$ -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$

Usage in service definition:

check_command check_nwstat_vol_p!sys!10!5

The $ARGx$ values are provided after the command name and separated by "!"

--

-sg