check_smtp problems

Horst, Morgan mhorst at cobaltgroup.com
Fri Jan 31 18:20:55 CET 2003

	I am new to Nagios, and recently got my configuration working.  Upon
the initial set up I intentionally configured one of my hosts to NOT pass
the one of it's service checks.  For some reason Nagios is reporting that
the results of the "check_smtp" plugin are "OK", even though "Connection
refused by host" is what is returned to the command line.  When I originally
set this up, I received a "Critical" error (which is what I want), when the
check returned "Connection refused by host".  I'm not sure why it is now
reporting that the status is "OK".  I have not changed the parameters being
passed to "check_smtp", nor have I changed the version of the plugin.  Can
anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

check_smtp Version info:
check_smtp (nagios-plugins 1.3.0-beta2) 1.8