problem with services file.

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Fri Jan 31 04:36:53 CET 2003

= 1) I've never had any problems with using tabs in object definitions.  If
= anything, I make sure my config files have tabs.  I'd be curious to know
= what error Michael had (and the usual version of Nagios/platform/etc).
= Regardless, if you prefer spaces, then use spaces.

I realize now that the errors I have weren't with using tabs in
object definitions per se, but when putting tabs in front of comments.
When correcting this, removing that leading tab, there's no problem.

So, if I have an entry in a file that says
	# This begins a definition

upon an /etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios restart

I'll receive this error :

service nagios
Running configuration check...
Nagios 1.0b6
Copyright (c) 1999-2002 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
Last Modified: 09-15-2002
License: GPL

Reading configuration data...

Error: Unexpected token or statement in file '/etc/nagios/hosts.cfg' on line 2.

***> One or more problems was encountered while processing the config files...

     Check your configuration file(s) to ensure that they contain valid
     directives and data defintions.  If you are upgrading from a previous
     version of Nagios, you should be aware that some variables/definitions
     may have been removed or modified in this version.  Make sure to read
     the HTML documentation on the main and host config files, as well as the
     'Whats New' section to find out what has changed.

failed - aborting restart.