ePN (embedded Perl Nag) with Perl 5.8.0. Not broken on all OS ...

Fri Jan 31 03:29:29 CET 2003

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am writing to withdraw my earlier mistaken claim that Nagios-1.0 (and
probably Netsaint) with the embedded Perl interpreter (ePN), is broken
with Perl 5.8.0.

(This claim was based on seeing the embedded Perl simulator - mini_epn.c
SEGV wtih Perl 5.8.0. In fact there was a coding error in mini_epn.c
[not unfortunately visible in any of the Nag base code that can use
Perl]).

I have ePN running on this FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE host with the FreeBSD
Perl 5.8.0 port.

pc09011# cd /usr/local/nagios
pc09011# bin/nagios -m

Nagios 1.0
Copyright (c) 1999-2002 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
Last Modified: 11-24-2002
License: GPL

External Data I/O
-----------------
Object Data:      TEMPLATE
Status Data:      DEFAULT
Retention Data:   DEFAULT
Comment Data:     DEFAULT
Downtime Data:    DEFAULT
Performance Data: DEFAULT

-------
* Embedded Perl compiler (With caching)

pc09011# perl -v | head -3

This is perl, v5.8.0 built for i386-freebsd

This Perl is built without _any_ thread support

(usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef
usemultiplicity=undef)

So. it may be the case that the systems having problems with ePN are
those systems that have Perls built with thread support, and there is a
problem with Nag support for threaded Perls (or there are still problems
with Perl threads).

I would like to hear from those that would like to spend some more time
trying to deal with this problem.

Please would you send me

1 OS details (Name and major version)
2 Perl threaded details (perl -V | grep thread)
3 Whether or not you can try ePN with an unthreaded Perl

FWIW, none of the Perl plugins I am aware of takes advantage of threads.
An unthreaded Perl would therefore work as well as a threaded one.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.