Fw: Help, new install - come on guys give us a hand.

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Thu Jan 30 23:33:29 CET 2003

Per the instructions on the page that you partially quote below, reading
the CGI Authentication section of the HTML documentation yields the
following:

-------
Authentication Usage

Format: use_authentication=<0/1>
Example: use_authentication=1

This option controls whether or not the CGIs will use the authentication
and authorization functionality when determining what information and
commands users have access to. I would strongly suggest that you use the
authentication functionality for the CGIs. If you decide not to use
authentication, make sure to remove the command CGI to prevent
unauthorized users from issuing commands to Nagios. The CGI will not
issue commands to Nagios if authentication is disabled, but I would
suggest removing it altogether just to be on the safe side. More
information on how to setup authentication and configure authorization
for the CGIs can be found here.

0 = Don't use authentication functionality
1 = Use authentication and authorization functionality (default)
--------

There is a feature found by following the link in the text above:
--------
Default User Name

Format: default_user_name=<username>
Example: default_user_name=guest

Setting this variable will define a default username that can access the
CGIs. This allows people within a secure domain (i.e., behind a
firewall) to access the CGIs without necessarily having to authenticate
to the web server. You may want to use this to avoid having to use basic
authentication if you are not using a secure server, as basic
authentication transmits passwords in clear text over the Internet.

Important: Do not define a default username unless you are running a
secure web server and are sure that everyone who has access to the CGIs
has been authenticated in some manner! If you define this variable,
anyone who has not authenticated to the web server will inherit all
rights you assign to this user!
--------

This may or may not meet your needs. Your final option would be to edit
cmd.c to suit your specific needs.

--
Marc