[Nagios-devel] database checker and xml

Jason Yates jason at starcastdev.com
Thu Jan 30 20:50:20 CET 2003

I'm taking this off the devel list.  I accidentally sent it there in the
first place.

Thanks for the pointer about the XML discussion; quite interesting.  I
personally agree with the fact that the configuration files should be in
XML format.  One of the major drawbacks of most open source programs is
there highly complex to configure, nagios included.  XML may not speed
up configuration using VI, but sure as hell makes it easier to write a
configuration interface.  A user-friendly interface would spring
people's interest who wouldn't have even considered nagios before, and
yet XML still allow VI based editing.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not
saying it would be impossible to write a parser for the nagios template
format.  But why do something thats already done, not just in C or in
perl, but pretty much any language you could name.

Hey and it would also fix my problem quite nicely. =)

Jason Yates