How to start

Steve Bonds r1p6os402 at sneakemail.com
Thu Jan 30 17:43:33 CET 2003

Nagios is tricky to get set up right at the start.  Fortunately, it's been
extensively documented:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/toc.html

The check_snmp plugin may be just the thing you're looking for.  Try
running it with the "-h" option for a quick overview of how it works.

The only really tricky part is setting your min/max ranges right since the
order in which these are given makes a difference:

----
- Ranges are inclusive and are indicated with colons. When specified as
  'min:max' a STATE_OK will be returned if the result is within the
  indicated range or is equal to the upper or lower bound. A non-OK state
  will be returned if the result is outside the specified range.
- If specified in the order 'max:min' a non-OK state will be returned if
  the result is within the (inclusive) range.
- Upper or lower bounds may be omitted to skip checking the respective
  limit.
- Bare integers are interpreted as upper limits.
----

  -- Steve Bonds