Nagios config -- not xml?

Dan Rich drich at employees.org
Mon Jan 27 18:14:55 CET 2003

Nelson, Ben said:

>> But for those of us who just configure it, having to type all the xml
>> froth would be a royal pain.
>
> I agree completely.  I'm not sure I would use a 'tool' (other than vi) to do
> the configuration, so typing all of the extra XML cruft by hand would be a
> pain.

In the case of a lot of XML I have to agree with this, but for a nagios config
I don't see a lot of extra "cruft" you would have to type.  With the exception
of some < and > characters I think you are already typing most of it today.
In fact, if it is all collapsed into a single config file you would be typing
*less*, since you wouldn't have to repeat data in multiple files (unless you
wanted to).

Initially I was against the idea of the nagios configs being in XML, but the
more I think about it, the more I think it's a good idea.  It would make it
much easier to develop tools to manipulate the files and as someone else
already said, make it easier to verify the data in the files is correct.

Dan Rich <drich at employees.org> |   http://www.employees.org/~drich/