Preventing direct state change "hard warning" -> "hard critical"

Jochen Tuchbreiter jt at domainfactory.de
Sun Jan 26 20:31:02 CET 2003

Hello,

after upgrading from Netsaint (and manually converting our config files)
I am observing the following behaviour:

Whenever a service that is in hard warning state fails one single check
it directly goes into hard critical state and causes notifications to be
sent out. This happens regardless of the number of retries configured.

As far as I understand this behaviour is expected and documented
(http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/statetypes.html), however I
would like to have the following behaviour: Whenever a service that is
in hard warning state fails a single check it goes into soft critical
state and only after failing number-of-retries consecutive checks goes
to hard critical.

This is how my old Netsaint behaved - I guess I must have configured
this somehow but even after doing an extensive search through the
confgifiles and documentation/faq I am unable to figure out how to
achieve this behaviour again.

I'd appreciate some advice on where to look next, unfortunately this
thing got me burried in pager messages for the last two days %-)

regards,
Jochen